Most businesses are familiar with the basics of SEO, or search engine optimization. Essentially, SEO is the practice of improving your company’s website to rank better on web searches for keywords relevant to your business. However, a business with a storefront located in Grand Rapids, MI, won’t usually need to capture the attention of searchers in California. That’s where local SEO comes in. So, what is local SEO and how is it different from your current search marketing strategy? Continue reading to find out.
Defining Local SEO
Local SEO still includes those general SEO tactics that help your site rank well on search. For example, improving your site speed and writing clear, informative content will strengthen your local SEO. However, you’ll also need to take actions that focus specifically on your service area(s). These strategies include:
- Gaining and managing listings in business directories on the web, such as Thumbtack and Merchant Circle.
- Claiming (or creating) your Google My Business listing and keeping it up to date with helpful info about your business.
- Optimizing your website for local search with the right geographic keywords for your service area.
- Managing your online reputation through reviews on Google and other major review sites.
- Maintaining a presence on major social media sites like Facebook and Instagram.
As you can see, local SEO includes many tasks outside of simple on-page optimization on your website. That’s why it’s immensely helpful to partner with a marketing agency to manage your local SEO for you.
What Is Local SEO Able to Do for Your Business?
Local SEO can have a profound impact on traffic to your website and your actual storefront. That’s because local SEO puts your business in front of customers who are actively looking to make a purchase. For example, a robust GMB listing makes you more likely to show up in search results on Google Maps.
To unlock the power of local SEO, connect with Leverage Marketing. We offer full-service digital marketing for small and medium-sized businesses looking for sustainable, organic growth anywhere in the U.S.